- Client : Community Child Guidance Center (CCGC) – Nonprofit Agency
- Property Name : Growing Spaces 18’ Growing Dome
- Location : 317 North Main Street, Manchester CT
- Technology Used: AutoCAD, Tekla
- Requirements: To build the greenhouse dome in the front yard of an existing building, for specially-abled children to enhance their sensory functions using plants; revered as a holistic learning space.
Growing Spaces Growing Dome® was a greenhouse project for CCGC. As part of community engagement and involvement, Russell and Dawson Inc. provided Pro-Bono services for the complete structural design of a greenhouse dome with an 18’ diameter and 11’ height meeting various loads (live, dead, snow, wind), seismic and local codes. The dome design involved single door, multiple windows and guidelines for reinforced concrete, structural steel, wood and thermal & moisture protection.
This project has been built on a concrete pier foundation having a wood superstructure. The 18’ Dome was specially designed to provide healthy, behavioral and therapeutic support to mentally challenged children otherwise struggling to cope in public school settings.
“We recently started using Russell and Dawson for a project at my nonprofit agency and they have been very professional. Tom Manning is great to work with and he goes above and beyond with his level of detail and communication. Would highly recommend.” – Kevin McMahon, Director of Marketing, Communications and Development